Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Finding Nemo Birthday Party Bash With A Splash!

 DIY Nemo Cake


I know we've all heard it before..."Mommy, for my birthday I want a _____cake!!" Our little 4 year old filled in the blank with, "NEMO!" My first thought was, "Where's Nemo?" No joke. But, where on earth do you find Nemo in 2014? Ebay? Amazon? Goodwill? Well, I checked all 3 of those and did come up with some cute, inexpensive items. But, I was falling short for the "Ta Dah!" factor in the cake. Every place in town could attempt to make a Nemo cake...but, that is $25 +! So, my husband and I put our heads together and came up with our own Finding Nemo birthday party cake for a whole $6.00! :)

Finding Nemo DIY Cake Directions

First you need the pans!! Ahh...the pans. I used a 10x2 and a 6x2. However, I think you can have the same results with 2 8x8's.


Next, make your cake from scratch OR make one box of cake mix as directed and stir in 1 Cup of chocolate chips to add some excitement to your cake.  Pour batter into lightly greased pans and bake as directed. I picked a moist cake, as it would be more pliable to work with.


When your cake is done baking, let it cool completely in pans on a wire rack. About 1 hour. When cakes are cool turn pans over on a cake plate and lightly tap pan to remove cakes. Once your cakes are free CUT where the lines are in the picture above.  When you have your 2 curved pieces simply flip them to make fins. One on top, one on bottom. You have your fish! Decorate with Orange, black and white butter cream frosting. Click here for buttercream frosting recipe. You can use sprinkles if you like, to enhance the colors!

 Enjoy! They sure did!


I was also able to find Clown fish inflatables at Dollar General for $.25 a piece! There were only 2 left...but, it made a fun Finding Nemo Wall!






No comments:

Post a Comment