Saturday, April 27, 2013

Grandma Sponaugle's Poppy Seed Bread

SUPER Moist Poppy Seed Bread With Orange Glaze



When I told my husband I was making poppy seed bread, he was not thrilled. He said "I do not like poppy seed bread". But, as our house quickly filled with the aroma of a delicious baked good he HAD to try it! His reaction was "Wow, this is delicious! It's like cake! I always thought poppy seed bread was gross until this!" Haha. He can be a little dramatic. :) If you have a poppy seed bread recipe I ask you to please try this one! I guarantee you will love it!

The Original Recipe


Ingredients

3 Cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/8 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 Cup sugar
1 1/2 Cup milk
1 1/2 Tbs. poppy seed
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring

Cream together sugar and vegetable oil. Add eggs one at a time beating well after addition. In separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, sugar and poppy seeds. Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture alternating with milk and finishing with the dry ingredients. Once combined add almond, and vanilla extract. I did not use the butter flavoring. But, if you have it...go for it!

Pour batter into 2 greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. 

When bread is done cool on racks for 5 minutes. 
Frost in pan with Orange Glaze

Orange Glaze

1/4 Cup Orange Juice
3/4 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients well and pour over warm loaves. My grandma's notes say "Very good, Freezes well." 









No comments:

Post a Comment